Monday, April 6, 2009

Mixing it up

Today is officially my first week of unemployment, after becoming another victim to this volatile economy. And it’s not that I’m depressed by the fact that I no longer have a cubicle to go to, or that I’m unsure where my next paycheck will be coming from. It’s that I’ve had to put my “extracurricular” expenses on hold. And that’s the real depressing part.

So in order to maintain my sanity and this blog, I’ve decided to backlog all my recent purchases, starting with my new Dolce and Gabbana suit.

My girlfriend will tell you that a man can only have so many suits. But as a man, I must disagree. There can never be enough. Yes, there might be a limit to how much you would like to spend on a suit, but you need suits non-the less. However, if you want to take my girlfriends advice there are a few simple things to consider.

1. If you are going to limit the number of suits in your closet, make sure it’s the right one. Don't buy a suit that you think you’ll fit into five years down the road. There is no reason you have to walk around looking like the suit has its own zip code. The key to a perfect suit is that it has to fit right.

2. Choose a timeless classic that will always be fashionable and that is multifunctional. Personally, I would recommend a simple, dark navy or charcoal colored suit. They can double as a blazer, and be mixed and matched with a variety of shirts and ties.

3. A suit may still look good once the next election rolls around. But maintenance is a must. Don’t’ be afraid to have it dry-cleaned occasionally. Or having a tailor work his/her magic on it. This will be cheaper than having to buy a new suit 12 months down the road because all the company parties left your suit permanently smelling like an ashtray.

4. Finally and most importantly, it's better to own one good suit than two mediocre ones. Don’t go rubbishing through Wal-Mart looking for style. Trust me, it will only bring on pain and embarrassment. Go the extra mile, and invest in good quality wools and construction. It will make for the ultimate wearing experience. And yes, it can be done without have to break the bank. My new suit is proof of it.

This beauty is made up of Super 120 wool, and retails for $1600. It’s a single breasted, two-button suit. The jacket is double vented with a notched lapel, while the pant is a flat front with no cuff. But the best thing about it is that I paid $399. (pictures with me wearing the suit to come)

It doesn’t get much better than that. Quality, style, and discount prices. Now that is Fashion Forward!

No comments: